National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) Act
The National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) is the pioneer government institution which was established by the National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol Act, No. 27 of 2006.The purpose of establishing NATA is enactment of the legal aspects for alcohol and tobacco prevention in Sri Lanka.
The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO-FCTC) of the World Health Organization is the first Global Health Treaty which was developed by countries in the year 2003, in responses to the globalization of tobacco epidemic. Sri Lanka has been constantly addressing the issue of tobacco and Alcohol and we are one of the very first countries that ratified the WHO FCTC, which is a legally binding treaty, where countries are bound to implement evidence-based tobacco control measures.
Objectives of establishing NATA
- To identify the policies on protecting Public Health
- To elimination of tobacco and alcohol related harm through assessment and monitoring of the production, marketing and consumption of tobacco products and alcohol products
- To make provisions to discourage persons, especially children, from smoking or consuming alcohol by curtailing their access to tobacco products and alcohol products
Important points of NATA Act
- Prohibition of the sale of any tobacco product or alcohol product to persons under twenty one years of age
- Prohibition on installation of vending machines for dispensing tobacco product or alcohol product
- Prohibition of the manufacture or sale of tobacco products which are prescribed by regulations
- Prohibition on the sale of tobacco products without health warning and the tar, nicotine content in each tobacco product
- Prohibition of tobacco or alcohol advertisements
- Prohibition of sponsorships
- Free distribution of tobacco products or alcohol products is prohibited
- Offenses related to trademarks of tobacco products and alcohol products
- Smoking in an area to which the public have access to be an offence.
- Tests for constituents of tobacco products.
- Provisions related to the Motor Traffic Act.
The local language translations
- Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) Act No. 27 of 2006, 2006, accessed June, 2019