Na Sevana Community Development Project
Na Sevana Community Development Project is a project by the Gangaramaya Temple Sri Lanka “for the benefit and well being of the people of the Hambantota District”. The project, initiated in 2011, was aimed at spiritual, health, educational and economic development of the Sooriyawewa zone of the Hambantota District. It is an initiative of Namal Rajapaksha, a Member of Parliament from the area, who is also the son of the then President of Sri Lanka, Mahinda Rajapaksha.
Tobacco Industry InvestmentCeylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) was involved in generating a “Model Farm” in the project. CTC refers to it as the “Sustainable Agriculture Development Programme (SADP) Mega project” conducted in collaboration with the Na Sevana project. According to them, it is a “hybrid of the original (SADP) programme”…”evolved to meet new national challenges”.The model farm, which grows fruits and vegetables as "organically as possible" also includes a plant nursery that has been established and maintained by the CTC (Image 1).
The project is governed by an executive committee, of which a Director of CTC (Dinesh Dharmadasa) was a member.
According to CTC reports, CTC has introduced new agricultural techniques, practices and innovations to farmer beneficiaries through this project.
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked entries:
- Gangaramaya.com. Social Services: Na Sevana Community Development Project, 2016, accessed May 2017
- Sri Jinaratana Adhyapana Ayathana Palaka Sabhawa Na Sevana Community Development Project: Meegahajandura Village of Sooriyawewa zone Hambantota District, undated, accessed May 2017
- DailyFT. SADP model farm in Sooriyawewa imparts agricultural best practices, 10 January 2014, accessed May 2017
- Daily Mirror Sri Lanka. SADP’s Sooriyawewa Model Farm imparts agricultural best practices, 10 January 2014, accessed May 2017
- British American Tobacco. Sustainable Agriculture Development Programme, undated, accessed May 2017